Thursday, December 10, 2009

If anyone has taken beginning ballet in college, is it a total disaster?

I want to find something fun to do in college, but I don't want to make a fool of myself. Please help!!! I took ballet like 10 years ago, but I just don't want to go into something that's difficult and will make me look stupid.



If anyone has taken beginning ballet in college, is it a total disaster?opera score



No worries.. I'm actually a serious ballet dancer in college but I took a class last semester for non-dance majors just for the added dance time. All I have to say is that most of the girls in that class were total beginners and it truly impressed me how WELL they picked up technique. You would think some of them were dance majors.. So I say YES by all means. You won't make a fool of yourself. There's no such thing and besides, no one even cares. Even if you walked on as a total beginner into an ADVANCED dance majors class, no one would probably take a second look because we are all so focused on ourselves. That's college dance for you :)



PS: At my college there are some dance majors who have had very little to no ballet training... And they look far from stupid!



If anyone has taken beginning ballet in college, is it a total disaster?musicals opera theater



I took ballet 2 as my art elective, but because the class was so small it was combined with beginer ballet, we just did different barres and what not. a lot fo the girls taking it for fun had just that, fun. everyone, even those of us who had danced before understood that of course dance looks goofy when you're just startung. hell, it looks goofy twenty years later when i do it! remember that the exercise youre getting is an awesome bonus and you're trying something new! who cares if you're no pro at the end, the prof knows that beginning ballet has people at many different levels. you'll do wonderfully!
Depending on the college you go to and the teacher you have, it can be fun and on the other hand, it can be difficult. I took Modern Dance in college and it is similar to Ballet. If you decide to take it, just make sure you stretch really good. The teacher might have you doing some things outside of regular exercising.
don't worry, you won't look stupid. just keep telling urself that there are thousands of ppl like you that start ballet late. Of course i wouldn't know your feelings very well because i started ballet at 3 and am now on pointe but every few months there are late starters. Some are just awful but everyone is still very nice to them so i wouldn't be worried...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd